Skip to main content

POETRY FOCUS: POEM BY FLETCHER

 
Fletcher in black

Eyewear has recently encountered the work of the young London-based poet, Sarah Fletcher, and is glad to feature a poem of hers here today.  Fletcher was born in America but grew up in the UK, where she is currently studying English at Durham University. She's been writing professionally for many years, making her debut at 14 in The London Magazine, and has since been published in a variety of places. She is a twice-time recipient of The Christopher Tower Poetry Prize in 2012 and 2013 (placing first, and then second). In 2012, she was a Foyle Young Poet of the Year and commended for The Times Stephen Spender Prize of Poetry in Translation. She has read at Royal Festival Hall, The Institute of Contemporary Arts, and Trafalgar Square. During the 2012 Olympics, she and 10 other poets worked with Jacob Sam-La Rose to construct a poem that was displayed at Olympic Park. She is a Poetry Editor for The Adroit Journal, where she runs The Adroit Journal Editing Service and lectures during The Adroit Journal Summer Workshop.



On Playing Chess With You At 8 Am 

Sometimes there is absurdity. This morning
your pajama trousers are half flannel, half
ocean. Your torso arches over the game board 

like a wave about to break. Your finger
holds the tip of your bishop gently
as you'd hold a nipple. My vision 

through my sleep-eye tells me the checkerboard 
is a graph-frame of Colorados (the squarest state). 
I remember you told me relationships 

are shaped like perfect squares so I look up at you 
and am disappointed to find that you don't look like
Colorado. The hollowed O's of the state's name

may resemble your cheeks but I see
you without right angles, in three syllables.
I see you as a Dakota or Montana, as phonetic.  

Your rooks invade my side, the piece
I swore was called "The Castle."
I move the Knight, the piece that looks

most like Louisiana. My face glazed
before coffee, I tell you about the squares
and you say you are glad I'm made of curves

and then take my queen and call me one.
Next, you thank God we are in England, where
everything is shaped like a pawn.

poem by Sarah Fletcher, copyright 2013.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CLIVE WILMER'S THOM GUNN SELECTED POEMS IS A MUST-READ

THAT HANDSOME MAN  A PERSONAL BRIEF REVIEW BY TODD SWIFT I could lie and claim Larkin, Yeats , or Dylan Thomas most excited me as a young poet, or even Pound or FT Prince - but the truth be told, it was Thom Gunn I first and most loved when I was young. Precisely, I fell in love with his first two collections, written under a formalist, Elizabethan ( Fulke Greville mainly), Yvor Winters triad of influences - uniquely fused with an interest in homerotica, pop culture ( Brando, Elvis , motorcycles). His best poem 'On The Move' is oddly presented here without the quote that began it usually - Man, you gotta go - which I loved. Gunn was - and remains - so thrilling, to me at least, because so odd. His elegance, poise, and intelligence is all about display, about surface - but the surface of a panther, who ripples with strength beneath the skin. With Gunn, you dressed to have sex. Or so I thought.  Because I was queer (I maintain the right to lay claim to that

IQ AND THE POETS - ARE YOU SMART?

When you open your mouth to speak, are you smart?  A funny question from a great song, but also, a good one, when it comes to poets, and poetry. We tend to have a very ambiguous view of intelligence in poetry, one that I'd say is dysfunctional.  Basically, it goes like this: once you are safely dead, it no longer matters how smart you were.  For instance, Auden was smarter than Yeats , but most would still say Yeats is the finer poet; Eliot is clearly highly intelligent, but how much of Larkin 's work required a high IQ?  Meanwhile, poets while alive tend to be celebrated if they are deemed intelligent: Anne Carson, Geoffrey Hill , and Jorie Graham , are all, clearly, very intelligent people, aside from their work as poets.  But who reads Marianne Moore now, or Robert Lowell , smart poets? Or, Pound ?  How smart could Pound be with his madcap views? Less intelligent poets are often more popular.  John Betjeman was not a very smart poet, per se.  What do I mean by smart?

"I have crossed oceans of time to find you..."

In terms of great films about, and of, love, we have Vertigo, In The Mood for Love , and Casablanca , Doctor Zhivago , An Officer and a Gentleman , at the apex; as well as odder, more troubling versions, such as Sophie's Choice and  Silence of the Lambs .  I think my favourite remains Bram Stoker's Dracula , with the great immortal line "I have crossed oceans of time to find you...".