Skip to main content

Eyewear Is Two

Eyewear is two today, friends. If that seems astonishing to you, imagine how it feels where I am sitting. On June 1, 2005, when I sat down to start "blogging" the whole fad was about as likely as riding around on those old bicycles where one of the wheels is giant and the other tiny - you know the ones. Parasols. World Fairs. 1902.

Then, for awhile, everyone was blogging - reports of a million new blogs starting a day. Blogs became popular. Blogs became books. Then blogs became big business. In 2006, The Guardian, the BBC, and other major media outlets starting pushing their blogs on us. The blogosphere began to look, read and feel, just like any other clone street in the UK, Tescoised and manipulated by corporate interests. Or worse, not - for every sleek blog there is one that is amateurish and rubbish.

Meanwhile, social networking began to evolve. Myspace. Beebo. Facewhatsit. Everyone linked to everyone, saying zilch. Actually, saying, look at me, I am cool, too. In the age of celebrity, this instant messaging, this instant reporting, this blogging, offers the winner's circle for free. Zap. Here I am.

It isn't all bad. Blogging is addictive, though. I've wasted a lot of time here I could have wasted on TV. I have learned to write shorter blogs. I also now try to only write about issues and things and events and books and films and music that really turn me on. There's very little knee-jerk writing anymore. Sometimes, I get personal, but not always. I don't think you need to know about my hair cuts.

In two years, the most surprising thing about blogging has been, how many people will read a blog. Famous people have told me they've read my blogs about them. If you write about them, they will Google you. That brings responsibility. I try to write well, wittily, clearly, and delight and inform equally.

Just after I began this blog, 7/7 happened. Then my father became very ill with brain cancer, fought it for awhile, then died. Other people I love died, too. Good books and movies began to pale beside the horror of the world, which is real. However, I allowed myself to have fun here, too, to try and play again, as well as warn. One of my key messages is that God exists - or rather, that she might. In a very secular (British) society I am sure this has alarmed some readers. But I don't preach, really. In fact, I find it funny how, in the absence of a god, the media, in the UK, which has stepped into the void, so obviously offers no conscience.

Another message of mine is tolerance - especially in the literary world. You know, most of it is hype. The people that market books are just estate agents with better glasses. Most books are crap (get stewed, as Larkin might say) and most writers - well, best left to the imagination. The media wants a new star author every day, every week. Sex, violence and football sells, often not in that order.

I enjoy sharing poets with each other and my readers during my features, to help tip the balance in favour of good new writing.

Will I keep writing this for another year? Maybe. Blogging is a tiring spectator sport.

Comments

Sherry said…
Congrats! Sorry it took me nearly two years to find you.
derek said…
this is a blog-drop: if you are reading this i regularly read you. please check out http://fourw.tumblr.com/

(& happy bday no.2)

Popular posts from this blog

CLIVE WILMER'S THOM GUNN SELECTED POEMS IS A MUST-READ

THAT HANDSOME MAN  A PERSONAL BRIEF REVIEW BY TODD SWIFT I could lie and claim Larkin, Yeats , or Dylan Thomas most excited me as a young poet, or even Pound or FT Prince - but the truth be told, it was Thom Gunn I first and most loved when I was young. Precisely, I fell in love with his first two collections, written under a formalist, Elizabethan ( Fulke Greville mainly), Yvor Winters triad of influences - uniquely fused with an interest in homerotica, pop culture ( Brando, Elvis , motorcycles). His best poem 'On The Move' is oddly presented here without the quote that began it usually - Man, you gotta go - which I loved. Gunn was - and remains - so thrilling, to me at least, because so odd. His elegance, poise, and intelligence is all about display, about surface - but the surface of a panther, who ripples with strength beneath the skin. With Gunn, you dressed to have sex. Or so I thought.  Because I was queer (I maintain the right to lay claim to that

IQ AND THE POETS - ARE YOU SMART?

When you open your mouth to speak, are you smart?  A funny question from a great song, but also, a good one, when it comes to poets, and poetry. We tend to have a very ambiguous view of intelligence in poetry, one that I'd say is dysfunctional.  Basically, it goes like this: once you are safely dead, it no longer matters how smart you were.  For instance, Auden was smarter than Yeats , but most would still say Yeats is the finer poet; Eliot is clearly highly intelligent, but how much of Larkin 's work required a high IQ?  Meanwhile, poets while alive tend to be celebrated if they are deemed intelligent: Anne Carson, Geoffrey Hill , and Jorie Graham , are all, clearly, very intelligent people, aside from their work as poets.  But who reads Marianne Moore now, or Robert Lowell , smart poets? Or, Pound ?  How smart could Pound be with his madcap views? Less intelligent poets are often more popular.  John Betjeman was not a very smart poet, per se.  What do I mean by smart?

"I have crossed oceans of time to find you..."

In terms of great films about, and of, love, we have Vertigo, In The Mood for Love , and Casablanca , Doctor Zhivago , An Officer and a Gentleman , at the apex; as well as odder, more troubling versions, such as Sophie's Choice and  Silence of the Lambs .  I think my favourite remains Bram Stoker's Dracula , with the great immortal line "I have crossed oceans of time to find you...".